Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 November 2011

LETTER TO A LOCAL MEMBER: An expression of dismay!

Adam Bandt MP
I am writing to register my dismay that Craft Australia the National peak organization for the Crafts has been given notice that it will be defunded by the Visual Arts Board of the Australia Council.

As a craftsperson (a gold and silversmith) who has operated her studio and gallery for 37 years, successfully building a creative business which has employed and trained 19 people.

YOU MAY ASK WHY I CARE

I care because I see how easy it is to become focused on my output and turnover with my public face being hidden behind a workbench. I, like many makers don't have a gallery or agent to publicize me the Crafts-council has been my connection to both an exhibition practice and a network of thinkers and educators on the crafts.

New ideas need breathing space,exhibiting opportunities and chances for debate.

Craft Australia has been the initiator of these forums. Over it's 40 year life it has connected craftspeople to an International and National Network. It has initiated a Magazine, Conferences, Exhibitions and Marketing opportunities. For example SOFA (San Francisco Object & Fine Art fair) has launched Australian Craftspeople to an International audience and ongoing opportunities to exhibit sell and teach.

CA has been the representative on the World Crafts Council and as President of CA From 1986-89 I attended meetings in India, Pakistan, Japan and Australia where Exhibition,work opportunities and exposure grew for Australian craftspeople.  Sadly the Australia Council decided they would no longer fund this part of the CA program and Australia has lost it's place at an influential forum.

So imagine how skeptical I feel when the Visual Arts Board announced they will use a percentage of the money saved from funding Craft Australia to initiate a new advocacy body for Australian Crafts.

Businesses in Australia proudly announce their years of operation as a sign of how much collective knowledge they have obtained and yet the VAB wants to start from scratch denying Craftspeople the chance for initiatives to emerge from the body that has the National and International reputation as their voice.

I ask for an urgent meeting to look at the ramifications of a funding decision that throws out 40 years of knowledge skewing even further the percentage of funds the Visual Arts Board allocates to the Crafts.

Marion Marshall
North Fitzroy 3068

No comments: